In this role, you will:
- 1. Manage a team of Officers and/ or Senior Specialists cross-functional teams in accomplishing department goals and priorities
2. Ensure reporting, escalation, and remediation of issues, deficiencies or regulatory matters on operational risk to senior leaders, committees, and appropriate business management
3. Build and sustain a strong risk culture including a balanced approach through working in cooperation with the other risk teams across the enterprise
4. Support with team build-out activities including hiring efforts.
5. Responsible for assessing the training needs and play an active role in right-skilling team members
6. Provide quality assurance on the work done by team members
7. Administrative and team management activities (KPI tracking, Utilization tracking, Team engagement, Performance management)
8. Provide operational risk expertise and consulting to complex business units for initiatives with high risk, generally spanning multiple business lines
9. Thoughtfully, independently and credibly challenges supported lines of business and across the enterprise or other risk programs
10. Partners with both internal and external stakeholders, including resources from all three lines of defence.
- Manage and develop a team of individual contributors with low to moderate complexity and risk in Compensation functional area
- Engage stakeholders and internal partners associated with Compensation functional area
- Manage the development, implementation, and monitoring of a risk-based program for a business or large functional area with moderate to high risk to identify, assess, and mitigate operational risk that arises from inadequate or failed internal processes, people, systems, or external events
- Maintain a balance between risk mitigation and operational efficiency
- Influence operational risk and business management to identify, formulate, and implement operational risk policies, procedures, and controls for the respective business or functional area to mitigate risk
- Provide operational risk expertise to business projects and initiatives and participates in the development of risk rating systems
- Consult with and influence operational risk and business management to identify, formulate, and implement operational risk policies, procedures, and controls for the respective business or functional area to mitigate risk
- Manage reporting, escalation, and timely remediation of issues, deficiencies, or regulatory matters regarding operational risk to management
- Lead implementation of complex and strategic initiatives with moderate risk and complexity
- Collaborate and influence all levels of professionals including more experienced managers
- Lead team to achieve objectives
- Manage communication and collaboration with business heads, Legal, Audit, and regulators on risk related topics
- Manage allocation of people and financial resources for Operational Risk
- Mentor and guide talent development of direct reports and assist in hiring talent
- Required Qualifications:
• 12-15 years of experience in risk management or control testing/ evaluation with a minimum of 5+ years with Financial Services domain/ operational risk management
• Experience of building and managing mid-sized teams (5-8 team members)
• Experience with conducting risk assessments, assessing the adequacy of policies, procedures, processes, and compliance and operational controls in a significantly large and complex organization
• Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
• Strong analytical skills with high attention to detail and accuracy
• Ability to interact with all levels of an organization and executive presence
Microsoft Office skills
Ability to present complex material in a digestible, consumable manner to all levels of management.
Other desirable skills experience
• Broad knowledge of operational risks and the issues faced by financial institutions today
• Ability to synthesize data from a variety of sources and deliver results quickly.
• Strong organization and detail-oriented skills, with proven ability to manage and prioritize work to meet deadlines despite frequent interruptions.
• Highly proactive, able to work both independently and within a collaborative team-oriented environment using sound judgment in decision-making.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with virtual and/or geographically dispersed teams.