About the Role
This position will be responsible for establishing and growing a new team of Finance and Accounting professionals supporting the Consumer Banking & Lending Controllers teams. Key processes performed in the USA and other locations will be transitioned to this team incrementally with the goal of growing this team significantly. This position will work with US Controller teams to transition work, perform the work, and report results. This position will also be responsible for hiring, managing, and mentoring staff and assigning responsibilities.
This role will need finance and accounting experience to effectively supervise the staff and coordinate with the Controllers teams. This role will need to provide significant leverage and support to the US team primarily focusing on consumer banking and lending, including residential mortgage accounting, and financial reporting processes.
The role requires a developed understanding of enterprise finance functional areas and responsible for working with business partners in conducting in-depth research of issues, interpreting and report findings. Also team member will closely work with multiple functions and strategies within Finance, Accounting, Regulatory, Risk, Operations and also will be involved in strategic initiatives across the organization in parallel with all the below daily responsibilities and requirements. Accounting and financial services industry knowledge is required to lead the analysis of highly complex business problems that they will then solve and look for opportunities in automation of process solutions. Recommending business strategies or approaches and providing input to business strategic plans based on various analysis.
The work will evolve as the team grows and stabilizes, but will start with reviewing financial statements, accounting, reconciliations, and aggregating data for analysis, reporting and journal entries. Analysis will include period-over-period variances, trends, aging, capital calculations and reserve adjustments.
Month and quarter end closing activities and financial account monitoring will also be required. This team will also support the preparation and review of data submissions provided for SEC and regulatory reports.
The team will access key systems and provide system table maintenance. The team will also handle a variety of research and ad hoc requests. The team may also be responsible for managing small projects and will support audit and other review/testing requests.
Over time, this team will help drive efficiency and automation of these processes. This team will also build a center of excellence capability responsible for partnering across the Controller teams to ensure data analytic needs are met, including automation of processes for enhanced efficiency and effectiveness.
The team will be held accountable for maintaining a strong internal control environment and ensuring desktop procedures and other artifacts documenting the process and controls are maintained.
- CA /CPA / CMA/ or MBA (finance) from reputed institutions
- Demonstrated relationship management ability with a background in accounting and external financial report for US Banks
- 15+ years of professional experience in accounting and external financial reporting
- 6+ years of Team management experience of a team size of 25+ team members
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills for interaction with US and local based teams & leadership, including senior level managers
- Knowledge and understanding of US GAAP accounting principles
- Ability to perform complex analyses, draw conclusions, and communicate recommendations to business leaders
- Prioritize multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment with critical deadlines
- Advanced knowledge of Excel, Power point
- Knowledge and experience with accounting and US regulatory rules pertaining to residential mortgage products, auto, credit card, other lending products & consumer banking
- Knowledge and experience with accounting and US regulatory rules (including financial reporting requirements) pertaining to derivative financial instruments, mortgage servicing rights, and fair value estimates for residential mortgage loan products
- Knowledge of USA regulatory agencies (ie SEC, OCC, FED) and related reporting
- Experience with data analytic tools (such as Essbase, SAS and/or SQL)
- Advance knowledge of PowerPoint and/or the creation of executive financial briefings
- Knowledge and understanding of data management concepts, process, and tools
- Advanced Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) skills
- Strong analytical skills with high attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to execute in a fast paced, high demand, environment while balancing multiple priorities
- Ability to take on a high level of responsibility, initiative, and accountability
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and creative problem solving techniques
- Ability to prepare presentations, management reporting, and statistical analysis
- Ability to be flexible and adjust plans quickly to meet changing business needs